08 October 2008

Pocket Fitness

For a few weeks now, I've been using a Pocket Filofax as a diet and fitness journal. For the curious, here's how I use it:

1) Week-per-2-page diary. Each day, I log exercise done (with heart rate), cups of water drunk, weight/body fat (on the days I weigh), and so on. The illustration here is a template page I made, to keep things clear by writing the same information in the same place on the page each time. The pages are cramped, so I did some planning before I started writing in ink all over them.

2) Eating journal. On yellow paper, one side of one leaf per day. I write down the day's plan the night before, and then...er...edit the next day based on what I actually ate.

3) Notes pages. Blue and pink paper for various kinds of notes and quotes from the program I'm using, The Beck Diet Solution.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you are way more disciplined than I am!!! I admire your willpower AND organizational skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Laurie, Laurie. Did you not wonder why I put up a sample page and not an actual one?

    I'll take credit for coming up with a nifty one-book organizing system, but not for the willpower thing. I've been trying to get my act together in this regard for so long. I've been exercising twice a week for over a year now, but it's time to work harder on the eating part.

    Anyway, I'll post some actual, filled-in pages one of these days, so you can see the difference between plan and reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're interested in the psychology behind successful weight control, I strongly recommend Dr Stephen Gullo's stuff - his books are on Amazon, and he has a few articles online if you google him.

    One of his books (The Thin Commandments) has a preview online in google books too, that was how I found out I liked his style. I won't post the link because it's humongous, but it's easy to find.

    His theories work with any diet plan, and are about getting the right attitudes to lose weight healthily, and maintain it once you get there (the hardest bit!)

    He talks about replacing willpower (which let's face it isn't a reliable resource for most of us, most of the time) with strategy - and tons of other good stuff.

    I only heard of him by chance, and IMO he's The Man!

    ReplyDelete