13 January 2014

Opening and Closing the rings on your organiser correctly.

With a lot of first time Filofax users around at this time of year, I thought it would be wise to make sure you are all opening and closing the rings correctly. I'm sure some of us have been watching You Tube videos and seen people pull the rings open with their fingers!

To ensure that you don't damage the ring mechanism on your Filofax personal organiser, always use the tabs at the ends of the ring mechanism to open the rings. Place your organiser on a firm surface and press evenly on both tabs at the same time.

Do not under any circumstances pull the rings open using the rings themselves; this could result in the internal mechanism becoming damaged.

Opening the rings



To close the rings use your rings on either sides of both sets of rings with a light even pressure and the rings should snap shut. Be careful to not trap your fingers in the closing rings.

Closing the rings


The mechanism does not require any routine maintenance or oiling, just an occasional wipe with a soft dry cloth will keep the metal clean and rust free.


9 comments:

  1. I have seen many a blog comment by the faithful saying "Yes Steve, of course I used the tabs to open it" or "Yes Steve I closed it correctly." It should be habit to do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since finding this out last year, it's become second nature to open it like this! I don't even have to think about it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with binders at work and when new employees go to open the binders by pulling the rings apart my heart skips a beat... Those big binders have locking mechanisms and pulling the rings just bends them out of shape causing snagged (and eventually ripped) pages or worse.

    I similarly freak when I see people in videos open their filos by just pulling the rings apart. EEEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FWIW, back in the olden days I opened my Filo rings and all other binders by pulling the rings apart, with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FWIW, back in the olden days I opened my Filo rings and all other binders by pulling the rings apart, with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course back in the old days, the rings were built to last - and replaceable to boot. Not the case now, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So am I the only one who occasionally snaps my finger in the rings when I'm closing them? I hate when I do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done it once. Once was one time too many. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had to break my ring-pulling habit. I have at last one Filo with several years of ring-pulling, and no damage. Better safe than sorry, though!

    ReplyDelete